Purpose of the blog: Online Presence

In 2011, the Learning Centre at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand, will provide extra online learning support to both distance and on-site students. We want to utilize the Internet more, and be available over a greater range of hours. The student-dedicated blog to accompany this is USE IT OR LOSE IT!

"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people" - William Butler Yeats



Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Can you do a 30-day Facebook fast?


I would like to use the social networking tool Facebook to support the learning support that I hope to offer to you guys. Many people use it more than they do emails, or even texting. It's free, it's fun, so why not?

At first, I thought I might have to create a new personality to keep my friends and family separate from work, but a colleague at work, Dave Bremner, suggested that I create a group instead. So, that's what I've done. It is called Otago Polytechnic Learning Centre. I know, I know - a very imaginative name ;-) If you use Facebook, feel free to join it.

On the topic of Facebook, a blogger called Steve Pavlina (a bloke who is really into self-development) suggests a 30-Day Facebook fast. Some people agree with him, and others don't. Here's a discussion thread they've generated.

No comments: