Purpose of the blog: Online Presence

In 2011, the Learning Centre at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand, will provide extra online learning support to both distance and on-site students. We want to utilize the Internet more, and be available over a greater range of hours. The student-dedicated blog to accompany this is USE IT OR LOSE IT!

"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people" - William Butler Yeats



Monday, 6 April 2009

A Bloke's Blog


This isn't going to be brain surgery or rocket science. I'm just going to show you a bloke's blog.

I've been keeping a blog for my classes since 2006. I don't think it's all that fancy, but Marc Doesburg asked me to talk about it. I've got about a dozen points to make.

  1. Neat! (no bits of paper flying around)
  2. Interface (Can involve your students)
  3. Quick
  4. Convenient (try writing on the whiteboard from your home).
  5. Permanent (I hope!) and it can serve as a record, what they call an e-portfolio
  6. Accessible (for any student who is ill, has an appointment . . . or has graduated)
  7. Useful (a means of managing online resources)
  8. Creative
  9. Cheap (It costs absolutely nothing to try)
  10. Fun and interesting (bells and whistles in the form of gadgets)
  11. Recyclable (can 'hide' posts as drafts and reschedule)
  12. Guidance (a means to prevent students being overwhelmed)

1 comment:

Sarah Stewart said...

Blogs are so easy to use for teaching, I don;t know why teachers are so resistant to using them.