Purpose of the blog: Online Presence

In 2011, the Learning Centre at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand, will provide extra online learning support to both distance and on-site students. We want to utilize the Internet more, and be available over a greater range of hours. The student-dedicated blog to accompany this is USE IT OR LOSE IT!

"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people" - William Butler Yeats



Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Short report 2 - I wuz hacked!

No sooner had I decided to post a series of short reports about what I've been up to, than my Gmail account was hacked, and messages sent to my contacts asking them to send money to Greece where supposedly I am stranded. I trust that everyone I know knew that I have recently moved to Japan, and that Greece would have been an unlikely detour.

So, don't be taken in. Do think seriously about passwords. Don't believe emails from Google demanding to know your account details to do a routine check. Just . . . watch out.

A good piece of news is that Mami and I have finally connected my laptop (the one I'm using now) to the Internet. No expensive pieces of equipment were needed. No outside 'expert' advice proved very useful. If you want to operate online from overseas, you need to be prepared to negotiate a pretty steep learning curve.

That's all for now - over and out

Update the next day . . .

There was still something odd about my Gmail account. I could send messages out, but none were coming in. Also, I would get 'bumped' out of it from time to time. So I did a search and discovered that your account settings can be adjusted so that mail is diverted. I checked, and found out that my mail was automatically being deleted and a copy sent to irenimope@yahoo.com Smeerlap! as you would swear in Dutch. I also discovered a bumch of messages in my trash, and will now go through and pass the saga on to them.

3 comments:

Helen said...

hehe,I got your pleading email from Greece William - how embarrassing! Have you noticed all the fake emails coming out of facebook lately? It seems to be getting worse. I went to hear Dr James Hansen last night - have you heard of him? He is one of the world's leading climate scientists. His message was basically that to prevent massive changes to the planet we must put a price on carbon and halt all coal usage immediately. Sounds so simple doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

hi when we recieved email we knew strait away it was scam people get told a considerable amount of times to be aware of shit like this an yes my partner had no problem telling the so called scammer to f off.. people need to wake up to the real world i say you can only blame oneself if you get caught up in such scamming dont trust noone via internet phone etc this is the world today each man for themselves sorry to say.

Nina Liakos said...

Don't believe emails from anybody demanding to know your account details: banks, Facebook, PayPal, Amazon, Google, whatever. If you think they may possible be legitimate, the best thing is to log on independently to the site (never click on the link), log in to your own account, and see what's up.

I am glad you seem to have fixed the problem. What's up with the move to Japan? Where are you, and is it temporary or (semi)permanent?