Purpose of the blog: Online Presence

In 2011, the Learning Centre at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand, will provide extra online learning support to both distance and on-site students. We want to utilize the Internet more, and be available over a greater range of hours. The student-dedicated blog to accompany this is USE IT OR LOSE IT!

"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people" - William Butler Yeats



Tuesday, 14 December 2010

I Hate Wikipedia

Wikipedia is great. I love it. It's useful whenever I want to get a quick overview of some topic. No problems there.

What I hate about Wikipedia is its functionality. For me, it just doesn't function. Trying to create something on it drives me crazy. It's like trying to follow the instruction manual of the most complicated videoplayer, cellphone or what have you that you can imagine.

I attended an ATLAANZ (Association of Tertiary Learning Advisors Aotearoa New Zealand) conference in 2010 (and in 2009). It was great. I loved it. It was very useful for me to gain a comprehensive overview about how learning advisors operate in a tertiary environment. I attended all the online support-type of workshops, discussion groups and presentations that I could.

I was inspired to try my hand at Wikipedia again (in spite of a long history of failure). This time I got as far as creating a 'stub' about ATLAANZ on my 'personal area'. But when I came to publish the thing, I couldn't find how to do it. Aaaaarrrgh! It has screeds of pages of how to do this, and how to do that, and searching tools to check the FAQs and sift through the archives. Nothing! (Nothing, at least that I could find.)

I throw up my hands in despair and disgust. Wikipedia is not for me. I hate it.

No comments: