Purpose of the blog: Online Presence

In 2011, the Learning Centre at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand, will provide extra online learning support to both distance and on-site students. We want to utilize the Internet more, and be available over a greater range of hours. The student-dedicated blog to accompany this is USE IT OR LOSE IT!

"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people" - William Butler Yeats



Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Podcasts I enjoy


I've recently started to dabble more in podcasts--listening rather than creating them, though one day I'll get into producing my own audio using Audacity and Podomatic.

For now, I'll just list those regular 'stations' I've listened to, with a thumbnail description. I shall try to remember to add to this page, so stay tuned!

To begin, here is my Delicious list with everything to date I've tagged with 'podcast'. To date there are 34 items, though I expect that number to grow, even in the course of preparing this post.

C-Realm is hosted by a very well-spoken American, KMO, who interviews people on his show. C stands for Consciousness. Discussions on topics focused on the coming Vingean Singularity, Entheogenic Exploration, the re-localization of community & agriculture, and Individual Conscious Autonomy. KMO is up to his 163rd episode, each of which is about an hour long. He puts them out once a week.

Then there is Stephan Molyneux who hosts Freedomain Radio. Stephan is a libertarian who is hot on the topic of Philosophy. He cranks out episodes almost daily from his car. His views are strongly aired, to such an extent that he has occasionally been accused of being a cultist.

Finally (for today) I highly recommend the TED Talks 20-minute-or-less lectures. These are videos but many may also be downloaded as audio files. You can search a list of about 400 world-famous speakers.

Since then: I really get a kick out of James Kunstler wittily discussing the tragic comedy of suburban sprawl at the Kunstlercast.

No comments: