Purpose of the blog: Online Presence

In 2011, the Learning Centre at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand, will provide extra online learning support to both distance and on-site students. We want to utilize the Internet more, and be available over a greater range of hours. The student-dedicated blog to accompany this is USE IT OR LOSE IT!

"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people" - William Butler Yeats



Monday, 14 May 2007

Otago Polytechnic tagged

In the weekend I learned about a blog written by a student at Otago Polytechnic. He wrote about the difficulty he experienced when he tried to submit an assignment on-line as opposed to on paper.

Leigh Blackall alerted us, an on-line group of educationalists, to that post in order to stimulate discussion. It seems to be doing that!

Myself, I take the tack that on-line discussion is valuable. I can see how some people might be concerned about our institution's reputation, but that, I believe, is because they see blogging as a form of publication. I used to feel the same way, and was always nervous about airing my opinions to the world. Now, however, I regard blogging as more of a forum.

As long as people don't go to extremes, name names, slander and defame etc, I have no problem with views being expressed, even when they differ from mine. Indeed, I welcome being exposed to disagreement - maybe I'll learn something new!

The design student in question was, I feel, quite measured in tone and calm as to how he expressed what he felt and thinks. Legitimate, even. We don't need to judge him or his teacher. The stuff that people read on-line they take with a grain of salt. You don't take (or shouldn't) take anything that you find on the Internet as gospel. He speaks of what is true for him.

It is not likely that anyone doing an 'Otago Polytechnic' tag search will be put off from enrolling. Indeed, if a prospective student were to stumble on this post he or she would/should weigh those words up together with other on-line and other information.

I suggest that if enough of us on staff respond in a supportive, understanding and nonjudgemental fashion then those comments would help moderate the 'negative' tone. They would show that we are open, informed, conversant and interested. What more could you ask from the staff at your prospective school?

No comments: